I would like to Donate:
Adopt a Basking Shark
The Basking Shark adoption pack is presented in an A4 shark motif folder and includes:
- Personalised certificate
- A4 picture of a Basking Shark
- Factsheet about the Basking Shark Research Project
- Shark Trust leaflets (these will vary according to current campaigns and projects)
- Car sticker
- Set of 8 postcards
The Basking Shark (Cetorhinus maximus) is the second largest fish in the sea and is a regular visitor to the British Isles, complete with its own place in history and legend. Adopt not just one Basking Shark but a whole shiver today, for just £20!
When you adopt a Basking Shark with the Shark Trust you will be supporting the Shark Trust's Basking Shark Project.
Below are just some of the sharks you will be adopting. All of the following unmistakable characters are regular visitors to the UK coastline and are easily recognisable by their individual markings and scars on their dorsal and tail fins:
- Badge is 7m long with a distinctive badge like marking on the left side of the dorsal fin. Biscuit is 7.5m long and named after a tiny semi-circular cut on the tip of the tail that looks like a bite from a cookie!
- Curly is a large Basker with a huge dorsal fin that has a crooked front and a curly tip. Diamond is 7m long with two large triangular cuts on the back edge of the dorsal fin.
- Rooster is a young shark, 4m long with a split dorsal fin that resembles a rooster’s comb.
- Stumpy is 8m long, with just a jagged 25cm stump on her back, possibly caused by a collision with a boat whose propeller took off most of her large dorsal fin.
Basking Shark Gallery:
The images below have been provided by photographers from around the world.
You have added an item to your shopping basket.
Your ID and Password were blank. Would you like to create a new account?