I would like to Donate:
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)
CITES CoP 2017
The 17th CITES Conference of the Parties (CoP) will take place from 24 Sep - 5 Oct 2016 in South Africa.
The Shark Trust is part of a coalition of conservation organisations working to secure CITES listings for 9 species of devil ray, 3 species of thresher sharks and the Silky Shark.
Follow all the key conversations and activities relating to sharks and devil rays at the 2017 CITES Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa at www.tintup.com/t/cites4seas. Make sure you use #CITES4Sharks, #CITES4Seas or #Mobulize in tweets/posts to Twitter, Instagram or Facebook to add your comments.
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) is an international agreement between governments, which aims to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival. Species listed in CITES are not necessarily categorised as endangered.
Because the trade in wild animals and plants crosses borders between countries, the effort to regulate this trade requires international co-operation to safeguard certain species from over-exploitation. CITES was conceived in the spirit of such cooperation. Today, it accords varying degrees of protection to more than 30,000 species of animals and plants, whether they are traded as live specimens, fur coats or dried herbs.
The species listed under the CITES agreement are broken down into three categories, based on the status of their populations and therefore the level of monitoring required to sustain these species. The three categories are known as Appendix I, Appendix II and Appendix III.
The following elasmobranch (shark, skate and ray) species are listed under CITES:
- Sawfish (Pristidae spp.) – Appendix I
- Basking Shark (Cetorhinus maximus) – Appendix II
- Great Hammerhead Shark (Sphyrna mokarran) – Appendix II
- Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (Sphyrna lewini) – Appendix II
- Smooth Hammerhead Shark (Sphyrna zygaena) – Appendix II
- Giant Manta Ray (Manta birostris) – Appendix II
- Porbeagle Shark (Lamna nasus) – Appendix II
- Oceanic Whitetip Shark (Carcharhinus longimanus) – Appendix II
- Reef Manta Ray (Manta alfredi) – Appendix II
- White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias) – Appendix II
- Whale Shark (Rhindodon typus) – Appendix II
You have added an item to your shopping basket.
Your ID and Password were blank. Would you like to create a new account?