I would like to Donate:
Join the Shark Trust
Join / renew today and make a valuable contribution to shark conservation.
Sharks have inhabited the world’s oceans for over 400 million years but, within only a few decades, humanity has put many species at risk and driven others to extinction. Up to 73 million sharks are killed every year as a result of bycatch and the vast international demand for shark fin soup - that’s three sharks every second!
A recent report on sharks in the northwest Atlantic reveals that populations of some large species have fallen by 75% to 90% since 1986. Other research indicates that some formally highly abundant species are now present at less than 2% their original numbers. Within UK waters several species are regionally extinct and without rapid intervention the future is bleak.
As apex predators, sharks maintain the balance of the marine ecosystem and play a critical role in our oceans. Their disappearance could have devastating effects throughout the marine environment.
Our members play a vital role in the Shark Trust and enable us to continue our work, which includes:
- Increasing public awareness of the conservation needs of these vulnerable species;
- Developing national and international management and conservation strategies;
- Improving legal protection for threatened species;
- Increasing vital research into shark biology and ecology.
In addition to supporting shark conservation, you will also receive:
- A Membership Pack which contains information about our shark projects, an A4 British Sharks Poster, a car sticker, bookmark and the latest issue of Shark Focus. Please note: The initial membership pack is very similar to the adoption pack, should you order both, some items will be duplicated.
- Priority viewing of the Shark Trust magazine - you will receive three copies of Shark Focus throughout the year, which are produced in March, July and November. A digital version of the latest magazine will also be available to download from your website account, should you choose to create one.
- Optional subscription to the Shark Trust members e-newsletter, where you will receive updates on campaigns, projects, news, events and activities direct to your inbox.
- Active engagement in campaigns - whether we are working to change legislation or raise public profile the weight of an active membership behind us creates a powerful lobbying force.
You have added an item to your shopping basket.
Your ID and Password were blank. Would you like to create a new account?